#1. Margherita Pizza
Step 2: Stretch 1 pound dough on a floured pizza peel, large wooden cutting board or parchment paper.
Step 3: Top as desired, then slide the pizza (with the parchment paper, if using) onto the stone or baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
Whisk 3 3/4 cups flour and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Make a well and add 1 1/3 cups warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 packet yeast. When foamy, mix in 3 tablespoons olive oil; knead until smooth, 5 minutes. Brush with olive oil, cover in a bowl and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Divide into two 1-pound balls. Use 1 pound per recipe unless noted.
#3. Quattro Stagioli Pizza
5. Roasted Pepper Make Margherita Pizzas (No. 1); add roasted pepper strips and red pepper flakes with the cheese.
6. New York-Style Press dough into an oiled 15-inch pizza pan. Drizzle with olive oil, then top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 2 cups shredded mozzarella. Bake, then garnish with pecorino, dried oregano and olive oil.
7. Pepperoni-Mushroom Make New York-Style Pizza (No. 6); top with sauteed mushrooms and sliced pepperoni before baking.
8. Sausage-Broccoli Rabe Make New York-Style Pizza (No. 6) with only 1 1/2 cups mozzarella. Add 2 crumbled raw sausages. Bake until just crisp, then top with 4 ounces bocconcini, sauteed broccoli rabe and jarred cherry peppers. Bake until the cheese melts.
9. Stuffed Crust Make New York-Style Pizza (No. 6), but before topping, place 8 string-cheese sticks along the edge and fold the dough over. Brush the stuffed crust with olive oil and sprinkle with dried oregano.
#10. Meatball Pizza
12. Eggplant Make Meatball Pizza (No. 10); top with breaded and fried eggplant slices and ricotta instead of the meatballs.
13. Sicilian Press dough into an oiled rimmed baking sheet. Cover and set aside until doubled. Top with 3/4 cup tomato sauce and 2 cups shredded mozzarella; drizzle with olive oil and bake.
14. Pepperoni Make Sicilian Pizza (No. 13) with only 1 1/2 cups cheese; bake until just crisp. Top with 6 ounces sliced pepperoni and 4 ounces bocconcini, then bake until bubbly. Garnish with basil and pecorino.
15. Herb Stretch dough into a 15-inch round. Top with olive oil, salt and chopped thyme and oregano. Bake until crisp, then brush with more olive oil.
16. Fennel-Taleggio Make Herb Pizza (No. 15); top with sauteed fennel, 6 ounces sliced taleggio, 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts and grated pecorino before baking.
Kana Okada, Jamie Kimm
#17. Baked Ziti Pizza
19. Squash-Pepper Stretch dough into a 15-by-9-inch rectangle. Top with paper-thin slices of butternut squash, caramelized onions, olive oil and red pepper flakes. Bake until crisp.
20. Zucchini Stretch dough into a 15-by-9-inch rectangle. Top with minced garlic, thinly sliced zucchini, olive oil and red pepper flakes. Bake until crisp.
22. Cajun Shrimp Stretch dough into two thin 9-inch rounds. Mix 3/4 cup tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning; spread over dough rounds and top with 1 cup shredded manchego. Bake until golden. Saute scallions, green bell pepper, celery and shrimp; season with red pepper flakes. Scatter over pizzas.
23. Clam Stretch dough into a 15-by-9-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with oregano and 1 cup shredded mozzarella, then bake until crisp. Top with 8 ounces chopped canned clams and 4 ounces sliced mozzarella; bake until melted.
24. Bianco Stretch dough into two thin 9-inch rounds; top with olive oil, salt, thyme, oregano and 1/2 cup robiola. Bake until crisp, then add 4 ounces each ricotta and bocconcini, olive oil and salt; bake until the cheese melts.
25. Tomato Bianco Make Bianco Pizzas (No. 24); add 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes with the bocconcini. Top with basil.
26. Bianco Mortadella Make Bianco Pizzas (No. 24); top with 2 ounces sliced mortadella after baking.
#27. BBQ Chicken Pizza
29. Onion-Corn Stretch dough into two thin 9-inch rounds. Spread each with caramelized onions. Top with thyme, corn, olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake until golden; garnish with basil.
30. Onion-Bacon Make Onion-Corn Pizzas (No. 29). Add 2 tablespoons diced raw bacon before baking. Top finished pizzas with arugula.
Kana Okada, Jamie Kimm
# 31. Onion-Ricotta Pizza
#33. Bacon-Egg Pizza
35. Pepper Lattice Press dough into an oiled 9-by-13-inch pan. Spread with caramelized onions. Arrange sliced roasted red peppers on top in a lattice pattern; sprinkle with olives and bake until crisp. Brush with olive oil.
36. Pissaladiere Make Pepper Lattice Pizza (No. 35) with anchovies in place of peppers.
37. Lamb-Feta Stretch dough into two thin 9-inch rounds; brush each with olive oil. Top each with caramelized onions, 2 ounces cooked ground lamb, 1/4 cup feta and some pine nuts. Bake until golden; top with parsley and mint.
38. Ham-Brie Press dough into an oiled 8-inch square pan. Top with 2 ounces sliced ham, 3 ounces sliced brie and 1/2 thinly sliced green apple. Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake until golden.
39. Wild Mushroom Stretch dough into a 15-inch round. Saute 12 ounces wild mushrooms and 3 sliced garlic cloves in olive oil; scatter over dough. Top with 1/2 cup each shredded fontina, Romano and mozzarella; bake until golden.
40. Artichoke Stretch dough into a 15-inch round; brush with olive oil. Top with 1 cup shredded asiago and grilled halved artichoke hearts. Sprinkle with thyme; bake until golden.
42. Fresh Veggie Stretch dough into a 15-inch round; bake until crisp. Mix 8 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons chopped basil and 1 minced garlic clove. Spread over crust. Top with chopped mixed fresh vegetables and shredded cheddar. Sprinkle with paprika.
#43. Potato-Rosemary Pizza
Kana Okada, Jamie Kimm
#44. Salad Pizza
46. Salmon-Potato Make Potato-Rosemary Pizza (No. 43) without cheese; bake. Top with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, and chopped chives.
47. Chicago Press 2 pounds dough into an oiled and cornmeal-dusted 10-inch cake pan. Top with 2 cups each shredded mozzarella and tomato sauce, some cooked sausage and Italian seasoning. Bake at 425 degrees, 40 minutes.
48. Grape-Stuffed Stretch dough into two 12-by-7-inch ovals. Place one piece in an oiled pan and top with 1/2 cup halved grapes and 2 tablespoons sugar, then cover with the remaining dough and press to seal. Top with grapes, sugar, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bake at 450 degrees until golden.
49. Raisin-Stuffed Make Grape-Stuffed Pizza (No. 48); warm 1/2 cup raisins in brandy and use in place of the grapes. Top with rosemary instead of fennel.
50. Banana-Chocolate Stretch dough into four 6-inch rounds; brush with butter and bake until golden. Saute 3 sliced bananas in butter with 1 tablespoon sugar; add a splash of rum, then spoon over crusts. Drizzle with chocolate-hazelnut spread.